I enjoy a good pasta dish that is simple with a few tomatoes and some shredded chicken for some additional protein. This dish is easy to fix on a weeknight and you can adjust the amount of heat you like by adding more or less of the red pepper flakes. The original dish did not call for any chicken, but I like to add some shredded up chicken for some additional protein. It taste great either way. I also use Dreamfield’s pasta to lower the carbs in this dish.
For the tomatoes, I have used grape or cherry tomatoes in the winter for this dish. In the summer, I dice up tomatoes from my garden. I find that fresh tomatoes from the garden taste better. When using grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, I find the skin a bit to much but in the winter when you don’t have many options, it will work.
1 lb Penne Pasta (for lower carb, use Dreamfield’s Penne)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp Oregano
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 tsp crushed Red Pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley
10 Cherry Tomatoes cut in 1/4 or you can use grape tomatoes or fresh
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. Cook Penne until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
3. Add garlic and cook/stir for about 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes, oregano, red pepper, salt/pepper. If adding chicken, add it at this step.
5. Reduce heat and cook until tomato juices run.
6. Add penne, parsley, and parmesan to skillet. Toss to combine.
7. Serve with more parmesan!