On low carb Monday today, I have another crock pot recipe for you to make preparing dinner easier! This recipe is for swiss steak or also known as pepper steak. I grew up eating this meal, but one thing that always bothered me with it was the dry and tough meat. I find that when using a large steak to prepare this dish, it dries out and gets tough. To resolve that, I made this with stew meat that I had in the freezer. It turned out MUCH better – the meat was tender and not dry at all.
The key step that I think helps the meat in this dish is to lightly coat it in flour and brown it on all sides prior to putting it in the crock pot. I use a little bit of olive oil to brown the meat.
Place the meat in the crock pot and add the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours. You can keep this low carb by eating it alone with some healthy side dishes. You can also serve this over rice if you are preparing this meal for others that are not eating low carb.
1 lb stew meat
2 14.5 oz cans stewed tomatoes
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup beef broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp flour
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp italian seasoning
1. Heat the olive oil in a pan on the stove on medium high heat.
2. Flour the stew meat and place it in the pan to brown lightly on all sides.
3. Remove the stew meat and place in the crock pot.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well.
5. Cook on low for 8 hours. Serve alone for a low carb option or serve over rice.