It’s Low Carb Monday and this is one of my favorite low carb options that you can fix in the crock pot! This pork carnitas recipe is a very flexible in that you can make pork tacos with low carb tortillas, use the meat on a salad, or mix it with salsa and eat it alone with some sides. This also makes enough that if you are cooking for a small family or just yourself, you can freeze the meat in smaller portions for use later. It freezes extremely well!
To get this started, you mix up all your spices except for the garlic and sprinkle them on our pork tenderloin. Cut up the onions and place them in the crock pot and add your pork tenderloin on top.
Add the minced garlic on top of the tenderloin and cook in the crock pot on low for 5 to 6 hours. Once cooked, remove the pork tenderloin and shred with a fork. I usually will use the onions as well with the pork in tacos. I also include some of the juice from the crock pot in the freezer bag when I’m freezing the extra pork.
Pork Tenderloin Carnitas
1-2 lb pork tenderloin
1 tsp chili powder*
1/2 tsp cumin*
1 onion, sliced and then 1/2 the slices
2 tsp salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp dried oregano
*I usually double the chili powder and cumin since I like a stronger flavor.
1. Place the onions in the crock pot.
2. Combine the chili powder, cumin, salt, and oregano.
3. Rub the spice mixture on the pork tenderloin, coating it well.
4. Place the pork tenderloin in the crock pot on top of the onions.
5. Add the minced garlic on top of the tenderloin.
6. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
7. Shred the pork using two forks.