This week for low carb Monday, I bring you one of my absolute favorites – Ham Macaroni and Cheese. One of the dishes I missed most when I switched to low carb was macaroni and cheese. None of the “imitation” recipes for that mac and cheese flavor would cut it. Then I discovered Dreamfield’s Pasta and I have had a lot of success with it. You only absorb 5 grams of carbs from each serving! I added in some diced up smoked pork chops or you can use left over ham, and you have additional protein and a one dish meal.
The macaroni and cheese recipe that I use is from Paula Deen and it is baked. It is one of the best baked macaroni and cheese recipes that I have come across. My family absolutely loves this recipe and my kids will no longer eat any other type of mac and cheese. They used to love Easy Mac but no more, I have to make this kind or they won’t eat it! You can find the macaroni and cheese original recipe over at Food Network.
I start off by taking a package of pre-cooked smoked pork chops or you can use left over ham and cut it up in to smaller pieces. I then place it on the stove to brown it a little.
Next, I cook my Dreamfield’s elbow macaroni and cooked it according to the directions on the box. Drain it well. While the macaroni noodles are cooking, mix up the eggs, milk, and sour cream in a small bowl using a whisk to make sure it is all mixed together.
After you have drained the macaroni noodles, I put my butter directly in with the noodles in the pot. I stir and let that melt. Then I add my cheddar cheese and stir until it is melted. Add in your smoked pork chops or ham and stir. I then pour the cheesy noodles in to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
Pour the egg, milk, and sour cream mixture over top of the macaroni and cheese and make sure it is even in the pan. I will roll the pan a little side to side to make sure all the mixture incorporates with the noodles.
I then add some pepper on top at this point and then cover the top with additional cheddar cheese.
Ham Macaroni and Cheese
4 cups cooked Dreamfield’s Elbow Macaroni Noodles
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I usually use a little bit more)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
4 smoked pork chops or 1/2 lb of ham
1. Cook the macaroni noodles according to the directions on the box.
2. Cut up the smoked pork chops or ham. Fry lightly on the stove just until it starts to brown.
3. Mix the eggs, sour cream, milk, and salt in a bowl.
4. Drain the macaroni noodles and return to the pan you cooked them in. Add the butter and stir until melted.
5. Add the cheddar cheese to the macaroni noodles and stir until it is melted. Add in the smoked pork chops/ham.
6. Pour the macaroni noodle mixture in to a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Pour the egg and milk mixture over the macaroni noodles.
7. Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top and bake at 350˚ for 30 to 45 minutes.