Spread the love

I have to say the weekend didn’t go as I had hoped. It was one of the moments when I realized we had taken one step forward, two steps back. It was a completely frustrating weekend and Sunday night I felt very unappreciated and defeated. However, I will keep on trying because giving up is not an option at the moment.

I tried out the task list and of course, things got all off track. We went to our first task, my daughters soccer game. The other team didn’t show, so there wasn’t a soccer game. Then the grandparents took my daughter with them to eat lunch with extended family that came in from out-of-town. That left me with my son and our errands we needed to run. Things were running smoothly until I went to get him lunch from McDonald’s as a treat. I knew they had Happy Meals with Angry Bird theme and he loves Angry Birds.

I got him his Happy Meal and handed it back to him, and he began complaining as soon as we got on the main road home. He was mad because it was a bucket and not a toy. The bucket came flying from the backseat up to the front seat. I thought this was a minor setback and proceeded home. He ate and we snuggled for a bit while watching a movie. Then all heck broke loose. He was “bored”. I offered for him to go outside but that we needed to spend 15 minutes working on his room first. He was going to have none of that. He began yelling and pitching a fit and not cooperating. This continued even when I went to work on his room for a bit where I continued to be called names and he threw a coat hanger at me. Some of you might be wondering why I didn’t stop right then and dispense a negative consequence. Well, the reason is that I was trying to “ignore” the bad behavior because I suspect he is only doing it to get attention. So I kept on encouraging him to work with me. This continued until his sister came home.

Once both were home, I tried to get them both back on the task list and that was met with anger and lashing out from both of them. Given that I was home by myself with them on Saturday and I was also hurting badly from my Rheumatoid Arthritis, I went in to survival mode and tried to “survive” until my husband came home. It was all I could do to keep them from going after each other and destroying things. It was rough to say the least.

So, we had taken a step forward to resolving the chaos, but with all changes there are bound to be setbacks and this weekend was one of them. However, I”m not giving up. I will try again this coming weekend and see if I can get the task list on the weekends to work. Anyone have any other suggestions on things that I might incorporate for success?

Return to Day 1