This is one of those recipes that I have been making for many years. I love chicken pot pie as it is truly a one dish meal. It is easy, yummy, and it really taste good as left overs. I originally got the recipe from Weight Watchers and made one small change to it. It is a Weight Watchers friendly recipe, just plug in the ingredients to get the new points value for it.
Chicken Pot Pie is one of those meals again that hits the spot on a cold evening. This version is full of vegetables and lower in carbs by only having a crust on top and not on the bottom. This also makes it easy to fix without having to worry about a bottom crust.
To make the chicken, you place two cups of chicken broth and 1/2 cup of white wine in a pan. Then place in 3 to 4 frozen chicken breast. Bring to a boil and boil for 15 to 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove the chicken breast and cut them in to chunks. Reserve 1 cup of the chicken broth mixture to use in the sauce.
Take the carrots, peas, and corn and microwave for 2 minutes. Chop up an onion and saute it in olive oil until softened.
When the onion is soft, sprinkle in your flour to coat the onions and cook on low for 1-2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the evaporated milk and the 1 cup of reserved chicken broth mixture. Return to the stovetop and bring to a boil, until thickened.
Add the peas, carrots, corn, and chicken to the mixture. Stir to coat well.
Pour in to a pie dish and cover with the Phyllo dough. Spray the dough with non-stick cooking spray.
Place in the oven at 400˚ for 10 minutes, then lower the temperature to 350˚ and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes prior to serving.
Chicken Pot Pie
1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine, dry
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
5 oz evaporated milk
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Wondra Flour
6 pieces of phyllo dough
1. Place chicken, chicken broth, and white wine in a pan and bring to a boil. Cook 15-20 minutes. Chop chicken in to chunks and reserve 1 cup of liquid.
2. Preheat oven to 400˚
3. Coat a deep 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray. Microwave the peas, carrots, and corn for 2 minutes.
4. Heat oil in a skillet. Add onions and cook until soft.
5. Stir in flour and cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and add evaporated milk and reserved broth mixture. Return to heat and cook, stirring until mixture boils and thickens.
7. Add carrots, peas, corn, and chicken. Coat well.
8. Pour mixture in to the pie dish and layer sheets of phyllo. Light coat top with cooking spray.
9. Bake 10 minutes. Lower temperature to 350˚ and bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes more.
This post may include affiliate links that when clicked might generate a commission for this website. This keeps the content free. For more information, see my Disclosure policy.