If you have followed my recipes for awhile, you know that I cook a lot of mexican inspired foods in our house. We just love the flavors and I love how easy most of the recipes are. This chicken enchilada recipe is no exception – easy and taste amazing! Works well as left overs and I also have used the CarbBalance Tortillas from Mission to make this dish a nice low carb one!
If you also know me, you know that I keep shredded chicken in the freezer almost always which makes getting this dish on the table faster and with less prep. I start by taking a bag of the shredded chicken out of the freezer the night before and putting it in the refrigerator to thaw out. If you forget, you can easily thaw the chicken in the microwave for a minute or so.
Once I have the ready to go, I begin making my sauce by melting butter in the pan.
I add my flour and make a rue and let that cook while stirring for a minute. Then I add in my chicken broth and diced green chilis. I let the mixture simmer on the stove while I work with making the chicken and flour tortillas.
Heat your flour tortillas for 20 seconds in the microwave so they are easy to work with. You can also place them in foil and stick them in the oven for a few minutes as well. I place the chicken and a little mexican blend cheese inside the flour tortilla and then roll it tightly. Place them seam side down in the casserole dish.
Once you have all your enchiladas made, return back to the sauce and add the sour cream. Stir until it has dissolved completely. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas. You may have more sauce than you need and that is OK. I have kept the left over sauce separate before and used it to add a little more sauce to them when I re-heat them for left overs.
Cover the enchiladas with monterey jack cheese or a mexican blend cheese and bake! If the cheese begins to get to brown, you can cover with foil.
2 cups shredded chicken
8 flour tortillas (can use CarbBalance tortillas)
1/4 cup butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 4oz can chopped green chilis
1 med onion, chopped (I sometimes leave out the onion if I don’t have it)
1 1/2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
1 cup mexican blend cheese for the inside of the enchiladas
1/4 cup flour
1 cup sour cream
1. In a skillet, cook the onion and warm the chicken up.
2. Place the chicken mixture in a flour tortilla with some mexican blend cheese, roll and place seem side down in a large casserole dish.
3. Melt the butter in the medium size saucepan over medium heat.
4. Stir in the flour and make a roux. Cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the chicken broth and green chilis and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. Add in the sour cream and stir until melted.
7. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas. You can save the remaining sauce in a container in the refrigerator for use with left overs.
8. Top with the monterey jack cheese and bake at 400˚ for 20 minutes.
*You can freeze the dish prior to baking if you want to use it later on. Remove from the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator before baking.