When I was growing up, my Great Aunt in West Virginia started making a cabbage casserole and it was the one meal I requested when I would visit. I had the recipe at one time, but it got lost at some point during one of my many moves. I finally was able to re-create it based on a cabbage roll recipe that I use.
This is an easy meal to get on the table fast on a weeknight, especially if you do a little prep work ahead on the weekend with browning your ground beef.
The first thing I did was to brown one pound of ground beef with some diced onion and minced garlic.
I took one head of cabbage and cut it up in to smaller pieces and placed it in a casserole dish.
I put the beef/onion/garlic mixture over the top of the cabbage and then added 1 cup of Minute Rice and 1 tsp of Italian Seasoning along with a dash of salt/pepper.
To finish it off, I used one the larger cans of tomato soup. I poured that in the casserole dish and then gave everything a bit of a stir.
I let this cook in a 350˚ oven for 45 minutes and it turned out amazing! It was just like my Great Aunt would fix. It was a great meal for a cold night.
1 lb of ground beef, browned
1 head of cabbage
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
1 cup Minute Rice
1 Large can of Tomato Soup
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
Salt/Pepper to taste
1. Brown the ground beef with the onions and garlic. This can be done ahead of time and then placed in the freezer to make this a quicker meal during the week.
2. Chop up the cabbage and place the pieces in a casserole dish.
3. Add the beef mixture, Minute Rice, Italian Seasoning, Salt/Pepper.
4. Pour the can of tomato soup over the top and then mix the ingredients to make sure all pieces are coated with the soup.
5. Bake at 350˚ for 45 minutes.
6. Can serve with grated parmesan cheese on top.
This post may include affiliate links that when clicked might generate a commission for this website. This keeps the content free. For more information, see my Disclosure policy.