Growing up we always had broccoli casserole with cheese whiz and cream of mushroom soup in it. The topping was either crushed up cheese its or stuffing mix. I came across this alternative several years ago. It has a great taste and combines broccoli and peas with parmesan cheese. The original recipe calls for mushrooms, but no one in our family likes them so I omit them.
This recipe works great with either fresh broccoli or I have used a bag of frozen broccoli florets that I cook just until thawed in the microwave. You want to use grated parmesan in the bag and not the type in the green can for this recipe.
Broccoli and Parmesan Casserole
2 bunches fresh broccoli (or 1 bag of frozen broccoli florets)
1/2 tsp minced onion
1 cup chopped mushrooms
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
1 cup Milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup parsley
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1. Parboil broccoli and drain. If using a frozen bag, puncture the bag with a fork and heat in the microwave for about 3 minutes to thaw.
2. Arrange broccoli in a greased baking dish.
3. Melt the button in a skillet on the stove top.
4. Saute the onion and mushrooms over high heat until just brown. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve.
5. Add the flour to the melted butter and make a roux. Add milk and cook until smooth and thick. Stir in salt/pepper/parsley.
6. Spread pea and mushroom mixture over top of the broccoli.
7. Pour the milk and flour mixture over the broccoli, peas, and mushrooms. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
8. Bake in a 450˚ oven for 30 minutes. If you don’t like your cheese to brown too much on top, you can cover with foil 2/3 of the way through the cooking process.