I absolutely LOVE to make mexican food. For some reason, it just satisfies me and often times really fills me up! This recipe is no exception. These Turkey Chimichangas are easy to make for a weeknight dinner, and if you are smaller family there is enough filling left over to freeze for a second meal. These turkey chimichangas are filling, thanks to the refried beans, and healthier than what you would get out as they are baked!
I love using ground turkey in recipes as it is a great source of protein and healthier for you. I have found that using the regular ground turkey which is a mixture of white and dark meat works better. If you use the ground turkey breast, most times it will dry out and not taste nearly as good. Take 1 pound of ground turkey and cook it in a larger pot or skillet on the top top until it is cooked through.
You will then add in beans, salsa, chilis, chili powder, and scallions. Keep the mixture on low. Add in your Monterey Jack Cheese and let it melt. You are now ready to assemble your chimis!
Place your flour tortillas on a microwave safe plate and warm in the microwave for about 20 seconds to make it easier to roll them. Place about a tablespoon of the mixture on a flour tortilla. I use the smaller fajita size flour tortillas as these are really filling and this makes plenty for a family of 4 with left overs.
To roll, start from one end and tuck the edge of the tortilla up under the filling. Fold in both sides and then continue rolling to the end. Place in a lightly greased baking dish.
I was able to get 13 chimis when I fixed this and I had enough left over mixture to make about 8 more for a second meal later on. I put that in the freezer. Lightly spray the top of the chimis and bake at 350˚ until crispy, about 20 minutes.
Baked Turkey and Jack Cheese Chimichangas
1 lb uncooked ground turkey
16 oz can fat free refried beans
4 1/2 ounce can diced green chilis
1 tsp chili powder
8 oz salsa
3 Tbsp scallions
1 cup shredded monterey jack eheese
6 large burrito size flour tortillas (I use the smaller ones to get more)
1. Preheat oven to 350˚
2. Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Coat a 13×9 dish with cooking spray.
3. Add turkey to the skillet and cook until done.
4. Add the refried beans, salsa, chilis, chili powder, and scallions to the cooked turkey. Cook until heated through.
5. Add the cheese to the mixture
6. Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in the oven. (You can also warm for 20 seconds in the microwave)
7. Assemble the chimichangas by spooning mixture in to each tortilla. Don’t overstuff them.
8. Fold in the sides and roll up each one and place in the baking dish.
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and brown. Serve with sour cream and salsa.