I’m continuing with my pumpkin obsession this Fall and made some of my favorite pumpkin bread. This is a recipe that my grandmother and mom used as I grew up with. It not only fuels my pumpkin obsession, but it brings back comfy memories of my childhood – running through the leaves, the first fires in the fireplace, and getting excited about Halloween!
This recipe is very simple to put together. We start off by mixing all the wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry in another bowl. I usually put my dry ingredients in the larger bowl.
2 cups pumpkin
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup water
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1. Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl and all wet ingredients in to another bowl.
2. Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry and mix until all the dry is incorporated and mixture is smooth.
3. Pour mixture in to 2 loaf pans that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Bake at 350˚ for approximately 1 hour. Check the middle with a toothpick at the 1 hour mark, if not done, place back in the oven in 10 minute increments until baked through.
5. Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove and let cool on a rack.
You can serve this right away or you can even wrap it and place in the freezer for later.