As we head in to the “Back to School” season, I have to say this Simple Enchilada Casserole is one of my favorite casseroles to fix when I’m in a hurry. What’s great about it? You can make it ahead and freeze it to have it ready to bake on a crazy, chaotic night! A great dish for the kids in that it is not very spicy at all. This is a great combination of ground beef (can use ground turkey), salsa, black beans, tortillas, and cheese. Yummy! If you want to make this lower in carbs, use the CarbBalance Flour Tortillas!
The first thing we do to get this casserole ready is to brown our ground beef (or turkey) along with the chopped onion. Brown until the meat is cooked through and the onions are soft. Drain off the grease.
Cover the casserole with foil and bake at 400˚ for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes to allow the cheese to melt and brown slightly. Let the casserole sit for 5 minutes prior to cutting.
Layered Enchilada Bake
1lb Ground Beef
1 onion, chopped
2 cups salsa
1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
2 Tbsp taco seasoning
6 Flour tortillas, taco size
1 cup sour cream
1 pkg Mexican Cheese Blend
1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed well
1. Brown the ground beef with the onions until cooked through.
2. Add in the salsa, beans, dressing, and taco seasoning. Stir well.
3. In a 13 x 9 casserole dish, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Layer two flour tortillas on the bottom.
4. Top the tortillas with 1/2 of the meat mixture, 1/2 of the sour cream, and some cheese. Repeat the layers one more time with the meat, sour cream, and cheese.
5. Complete the top layer with the flour tortillas and cover with the remaining cheese. I always add more at this point.
6. Cover the dish with non-stick foil and bake at 400˚ for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake an additional 5 minutes until the cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes prior to serving.
*This casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months. Bake covered for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake 15-20 minutes more.