It is almost time for Football! I for one, can’t wait to cheer on my Tennessee Vols this fall. This Cornbread Salad is one of those recipes that I have fixed for family and friends while we watch the game or would be great to take along to a tailgate! Easy to prepare and makes a lot! This is one of those salads that is unbelievably good – the fresh veggies and then the chilis in the cornbread give it just a little bit of a kick.
I start out by combining the ingredients for the dressing: Ranch Dressing Mix, Mayonnaise, and Sour Cream. Mix well and chill in the refrigerator.
1 pkg ranch dressing mix
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
2 cans sweet yellow corn, drained
2 cans kidney or black beans, drained and rinsed
2 bunches green onions, chopped
12 slices bacon, cooked/crumbled
2 boxes of cornbread mix
1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 large tomatoes, diced
8 oz can green chilis
1. Combine the dressing mix, sour cream, and mayonnaise in advance and chill.
2. Mix the cornbread according to the package directions. Add in the green chilis prior to baking. Bake according to the package directions.
3. Let the cornbread cool.
4. In a large bowl, layer the salad as follows:
1/2 cornbread mixture, crumbled
1/2 green pepper
1/2 green onions
1/2 salad dressing mixture
5. Repeat the layers one more time, topping with the remaining dressing mix, cheese, and bacon.
6. Chill the salad for 30 minutes prior to serving
**This makes a LARGE salad. If you are making this for a smaller group of 6 or less, I would 1/2 the recipe like I did in the pictures.