Do you ever get tired of the same ole’ boring spaghetti? I do! I normally have spaghetti on the menu once a week because the kids really like it. It is also quick and easy. I decided I wanted to try something a little different so I created this yummy chicken mixture to go on top of spaghetti to liven it up a bit!
I started out by dicing up 3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts. Add some salt/pepper to season and then brown the chicken in a large pot with 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil. Once the chicken is cooked through, remove from the pan and place in a bowl to add back in later.
While the chicken is cooking, dice up an onion and a green bell pepper. Make the vegetables as small as you prefer. I like mine a bit chunkier so I left them larger. Add another Tbsp of Olive Oil and saute the vegetables for 3-5 minutes. Add in 3 cloves of minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add in one can of diced tomotoes along with the juice, one can of tomato sauce, and the remaining spices. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes. Add back in the chicken and simmer for another 15 minutes. Serve over spaghetti noodles!
3 to 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp sugar
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
1 tsp Basil
1 tsp Oregano
1/4 tsp Smoked Paprika
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Red Wine
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1. Dice the chicken in to bite size pieces and season with salt/pepper. In a large pot over medium-high heat, brown the chicken with 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil. Remove once cooked through and place in a bowl to add back in later.
2. Chop up the onion and green bell pepper. Make the pieces a size that you enjoy in your sauces – very small or a bit larger for a chunkier sauce. Add to the large pot with an additional Tbsp of Olive Oil and saute for 3-5 minutes.
3. Add in the minced garlic and continue to saute for an additional minute.
4. Pour in the can of diced tomatoes and can of tomato sauce.
5. Add in 1/4 cup of water and stir. Add in any additional water to achieve the consistency that your family enjoys. I added in about 1/2 cup total.
6. Add in the remaining spices: Sugar, Italian Seasoning, Basil, Oregano, Smoked Paprika, Red Wine, and salt/pepper to taste.
7. Bring up to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Add the chicken back in and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
9. Serve over cooked spaghetti.
*I tend to like sauces a bit on the sweeter side, if you prefer it more acidic, cut the sugar to 1 Tbsp and then taste and modify to your liking.